What I’ve got below is an annotated and slightly edited version of my own cover letter. I’ll mention at the outset that as letters go, it was pretty effective: I received manuscript requests from over half the agents I queried. (I would venture to say that my letter is better than my novel. Ah, well.)....(read more)
* * *
As you probably know, I went the Indie route with my first book I Serve, and after learning the ropes of book production and marketing, my husband and I decided to start our own publishing company. Jessica Knauss had a guest post this week about the "Pros and Cons of Small Presses." I thought that her post was very valuable for new authors trying to decide whether to sign on with a small press. Many of her Pros were right on the money:
• Welcoming. Debut authors tend to get an unbiased reception.
• Quick. A small staff can mean less bureaucracy and an easier decision process....
• Collaborative. It is likely that you, as the author, will have some say in the design of your book and its cover and possibly even release dates.
• Creative. Small presses interested in their authors’ welfare and their own future will work with you to implement effective, low-cost marketing solutions and make the most of whatever resources are available.... (read more)
Her Cons were also insightful--no advances, a smaller level of distribution--but I was happy to see that one of them most emphatically does not apply at our company. Just because we're a small press does not mean that we offer authors a lower royalty than a big publisher would. At Madison Street Publishing our philosophy is author-centric, and we're committed to giving the lion's share of the profits to the one who actually created the book.
Ohh this getting a publisher lark seems all the more harder than I thought. Looks like my scribbles will have to be consigned to Goodreads for now (when I put them down that is)
ReplyDeleteBut with Indie publishing and so many small presses, it's actually getting easier than it was in the past! :-)
DeleteWell maybe there is some hope for me if I ever write anything half decent.
Delete