Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Whole Art and Joy of Words

To say the thing you really mean,
the whole of it, nothing more or less or
other than what you really mean; 
that's the whole art and joy of words. 
--C. S. Lewis

I don't know if you've ever noticed it before--it's the quote on the header of this blog. The Greek tutor says it in C.S. Lewis' Till We Have Faces, and it's one of my favorite quotes about writing.

What it all boils down to is precision--using language to convey precisely what you want to convey. And precision--as knife throwers, crane operators, and race car drivers know--can only come through practice. *sigh*


3 comments:

  1. I love CS Lewis, he spoke (or wrote) with such wisdom and insight - though that doesnt mean I agree with everything he said or believed (well most of it I do).

    Talking of words I am trying to decide whether to transfer Medievareader to blogger because of certain defeciencies with wordpress. As you use blogger what is your opinion? If I did transfer I would e-mail all my lovely regular readers and commenters as soon as it was done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one Blogger site and a couple Wordpress sites. I think Blogger is a lot easier to use. And if you want to add lots of buttons and such on your sidebar, it's probably the way to go. Blogger sites look very much like blogs, and probably a little less professional. Wordpress sites can look more like a website than a blog--which is sometimes a good thing, And one big bonus is that you can upload PDF files. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

      Delete
    2. Yes the main thing me was adding widgets, as wordpress does not accept Javascript:(. I may transfer all the posts then keep them both up for a while and see how things go.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...