Thursday, April 14, 2011

All Fiction is Fan Fiction

"Overheard on the Titanic," by Austin Kleon (Available for purchase here)
I read an interesting article yesterday by author/artist Austin Kleon titled "How to Steal Like an Artist (and 9 Other Things Nobody Told Me)." Mr. Kleon, who creates poetry by blacking out most of the words of newspaper articles, offers some amusingly illustrated advice for authors, artists, musicians, or any other kind of creative type. My favorite section of his essay states:
The question every young writer asks is: “What should I write?”
And the cliched answer is, “Write what you know.”
This advice always leads to terrible stories in which nothing interesting happens.
The best advice is not to write what you know, it’s write what you *like*.
Write the kind of story you like best.
We make art because we like art.
All fiction, in fact, is fan fiction.
The best way to find the work you should be doing is to think about the work you want to see done that isn’t being done, and then go do it.
Draw the art you want to see, make the music you want to hear, write the books you want to read.
 And that is why I write historical fiction.

1 comment:

  1. Good! Because this is what I've been doing with my writing. Nice to know I'm going on the right path.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...