Saturday, March 26, 2011

Desultory Remarks

We had our first "big order" at our new printer Create Space. Someone ordered 62 books from our e-store. The costs were very minimal for switching printers, and now the move to Create Space has paid for itself four times over.

As an independent author, I try to keep up with what's going on in the Indie book world. Here are some recent items of interest:

Amanda Hocking, queen of the Indie book world (and author of paranormal romances), signed a book deal with a publishing house for two million dollars. Even though she could potentially make more money self-publishing her new series, she chose to do this because: “I want to be a writer...I do not want to spend 40 hours a week handling e-mails, formatting covers, finding editors, etc. Right now, being me is a full-time corporation.”

Thriller writer Barry Eisler turned down a five hundred thousand dollar deal in order to go Indie on his next book. In a conversation with J. Konrath, he says "This was one of the reasons I just couldn’t go back to working with a legacy publisher. The book is nearly done, but it wouldn’t have been made available until Spring of 2012. I can publish it myself a year earlier. That’s a whole year of actual sales I would have had to give up."
 
The twins are growing into strapping young lads, having fun rolling about and learning to laugh at silly adults.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your great book. I have searched long for a solid Christian novel set in the Medieval period and was extremely pleased with your book. I am currently having my 7th grade English class at our Classical Christian school read your novel (we ordered the 62 copies mentioned above), and I hope to order similar amounts each year for my class. Your book is such a wonderful novel, giving vivid life to the Medieval literature we are looking at in our class. I hope other Classical Christian schools and homeschoolers find out about your book as it is such a wonderfully challenging and beatuful work truely appropriate for engaging young adult readers. I eagerly await your next work on the Crusades.

    Brent Harper
    Latin and English Teacher
    The Bear Creek School
    Redmond, WA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! My husband and I were wondering what school that book order had gone to. I am very glad that you enjoy the book and that it fits well into your class curriculum.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...