Thursday, November 18, 2010

Will I Ever Have Time to Write Again?

The first few days after giving birth to twins produced a lot of questions. Now, two weeks later, some of those questions are beginning to be answered.

1. Will I ever sleep again? (yes, but only in two hour chunks)
2. Will I be able to fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes? (mostly, minus a few pair of jeans that were probably too tight anyways)
3. Can I catch up on my Read-the-Bible-in-a-year schedule? (yes, I forced myself to read the first half of Acts before allowing myself the pleasure of writing this post)
4. Will I ever have time to write again? (yes, as long as I don't waste my limited free time on Facebook)

Yesterday, in between the twins' feedings, I opened up the word document containing the draft of my novel in progress (Road from the West). I looked at the document properties and saw that the last time it had been opened was on November 4, the day I went into labor. Two weeks since my last addition to the story....

Reading through a couple of the most recent pages, I began to get a feel for where I was at. The siege of Nicea had just ended. Tancred, the hero, was lying through his teeth to the Byzantine general, doing his best to smuggle the Turkish sultana out of the city. The Byzantine general wasn't buying it; he had only to give the word and the soldiers would surround them.... In between washing bottles and changing diapers, I managed to set down 500 words that decided the fate of the Turkish sultana and ended the scene. Today I added another 250 words to the manuscript--Bohemond's reaction when he hears about his nephew's exploits.

While constantly caring for the twins does make it harder to find the time to write, in some respects it makes it easier as well. Instead of gallivanting around to meetings, friends' houses, or the mall, I'm pretty much housebound. I'm a stay-at-home mom with two little munchkins (and no car) who actually has to stay at home. And as long as my laptop is here to keep me company, the chances are good that this novel will eventually materialize. And now, if you'll excuse me, I have a diaper to change....

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Rose...I thought it would take you three weeks to manage a post, but perhaps having twins makes one even more organized. The video of the boys is nicely done. We're still in sore throat-ville over here or we'd have been by already to visit...as soon as we're better, we'll call you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...